Terms of participation
The competition is open to female chefs, sous-chefs, pastry chefs, cooks and female entrepreneurs in Ontario’s gastronomy sector.
The aim of the contest is to create the best possible “cocktail party”, based not only on the specificity of French culinary culture, but also on the diversity and richness of Ontario cuisine and on the valorization of local ingredients (Canadian and/or French).
Description of the categories of snacks open to the competition
Six categories of appetizers are proposed for the competition: 4 savoury finger foods and 2 sweet ones.
Each category must emphasize a specific type of local ingredient (French or Ontario).
Each candidate will propose one or two preparations (one bite per category, in two categories maximum), inspired by her personal and professional discoveries and experiences, while being creative and daring.
Number of participants by category: 6
Registration for this first edition is open from March 08th to April 30th, 2019.
Candidates are invited to complete the registration form and send it back by email, accompanied by the documents requested to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The registration file for pre-selection must include the following elements:
– A bio, in LinkedIn style (PDF format, 2 pages maximum);
– A statement in a few paragraphs describing what defines your culinary identity, so that “You are the food you cook” (hence the title of the event: “Elles sont Food and You?’);
– A detailed written presentation of each bite (with a list of the main local ingredients and artisanal products used), a photo of the bite (JPG format, 5 Mb maximum per image) and the name attributed to the creation.
– A detailed budget for the production of each bite.
The six finalists (one in each category) will receive the following prizes:
– The publication of their recipes of selected bites and their biography in a specialized magazine,
– Gifts offered by our partners,
– The collaboration with a local event agency for one of their event (tbc).
The finalists will also have the opportunity to present and have their appetizers served at the awards and cocktail party, which will be offered to an audience of professionals and knowledgeable amateurs.
The salted bites are:
Savory finger food #1 – Finger food on slice or served in a verrine, on a spoon, fork or skewer that showcases an artisanal cheese as the main ingredient (French or Ontario origin);
Savory finger food #2 – Finger food on slice or served in a verrine, on a spoon, fork or skewer that showcases a charcuterie of exception or a high quality meat as the main ingredient (French or Ontario origin);
Savory finger food #3 – Finger food on slice or served in a verrine, on a spoon, fork or skewer that showcases a high quality fish and/or shellfish as the main ingredient (French or Canada origin);
Savory finger food #4 – Finger food on slice or served in a verrine, on a spoon, fork or skewer that showcases a high quality and unique chocolate in combination with another exceptional savory ingredient.
The sweet bites are:
Sweet finger food #1 that highlights a high quality and unique chocolate combined with another main ingredient like coffee, tea or caramel, …;
Sweet finger food #2 that highlights the aroma of culinary herbs, spices or flowers, …
Please refer to the Rules & Regulations document for detailed information.
Registration: March 8th to April 30th
Testing and evaluation session: May 28th
Award ceremony and cocktail party: June 11th